By: Oksana Sachyk, Ph.D.Using our Intermediate Ukrainian online course, you can follow Kateryna, a Canadian school teacher, as she tours Kyiv with her Ukrainian friend and learns about the history and culture of Ukraine. Watch video and learn about greetings, shopping, food, dining out, weather, education, literature, holiday traditions, and more. With our specially designed video player for language learning you can pause the video at any point and scroll the transcription. Read annotations about culture and grammar. Click on almost any word or sentence to hear it spoken, along with translations. This course can be used either by independent learners or by students in a traditional or self-instructional classroom setting, and is the equivalent of the material covered in a one-year college course.
Classroom-Tested and Peer-Reviewed
Intermediate Ukrainian was originally published as part of the highly reviewed University of Arizona Critical Languages Series, and we have added many new mobile-friendly features. The course contains 20 lessons featuring 21 videos of native speakers with transcriptions, translations, and hundreds of annotations. It includes over 10,000 native speaker word and sentence audio recordings. Intermediate Ukrainian was peer-reviewed by Ukrainian language experts Teresa Polowy, Ph.D. and Svitlana Rogovyk.demonstration video showing how our searchable audio glossary works for Beginning Ukrainian (other levels similar).
Sample Video: Unit 1, Introduction
Our Special Video Player for Language Learning (Intermediate Ukrainian is Similar)
Table of Contents and Free Sample Lessons with VideoTry one of the abbreviated sample lessons below with video, transcriptions, annotations, translations, and individual word and sentence audio recordings:
- ЗНАЙОМСТВО (Introduction) , Try a Listening Dictation
- ТАРАС ШЕВЧЕНКО (Taras Shevchenko)
- ВІДПУСТКА (Vacation)
- УКРАЇНА (Ukraine)
- НА ПАСПОРТНОМУ КОНТРОЛІ (At the Passport Checkpoint)
- НА МИТНОМУ КОНТРОЛІ (At Customs)
- КИЇВ (Kyiv)
- ПРОГУЛЯНКА ПО КИЄВУ: Частина 1 (A Walk Through Kyiv: Part 1)
- ПРОГУЛЯНКА ПО КИЄВУ: Частина 2 (A Walk Through Kyiv: Part 2)
- КИЇВСЬКИЙ НАЦІОНАЛЬНИЙ УНІВЕРСИТЕТ ІМЕНІ ТАРАСА ШЕВЧЕНКА (Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University)
- У ТЕАТРІ (At the Theatre)
- МІСЬКИЙ ТРАНСПОРТ (City Transportation)
- ФОТОАЛЬБОМ (Photo Album)
- КИЇВСЬКИЙ МЕТРОПОЛІТЕН (Kyiv Subway)
- ПРО СПОРТ (About Sport)
- УКРАЇНСЬКІ РІЗДВЯНІ ТРАДИЦІЇ: Частина 1 (Ukrainian Christmas Traditions: Part 1)
- УКРАЇНСЬКІ РІЗДВЯНІ ТРАДИЦІЇ: Частина 2 (Ukrainian Christmas Traditions: Part 2)
- ПРО ЗДОРОВ’Я (About Health)
- ДО ПОБАЧЕННЯ, КИЄВЕ (Saying Goodbye)
- ЛИСТ ДО ДРУГА (Letter to a friend)
About the AuthorOksana Sachyk graduated from Kyiv State Shevchenko University, Kyiv, Ukraine in 1991 with a diploma with honors in Romance and Germanic Languages and Literature. From 1991 to 1994 she attended post graduate courses in Foreign Literature at the same University and in 1997 defended her thesis and received a PhD degree in Linguistics. Oksana Sachyk has ten publications in the area of her studies in Ukraine. From 1994 to 2001 she worked first as lecturer and later as associate professor at Kyiv National Shevchenko University, Department of Foreign Philology teaching courses in English Language and Literature. In 2001 Oksana Sachyk moved to Canada, and taught Ukrainian and Russian at FLIO, the Foreign Language Institute of Ottawa, Canada from 2002 to 2008. Since 2008, she has worked as a language specialist and learning consultant for the Canadian government. She is also the author of our Beginning Ukrainian course.
Intermediate Ukrainian materials © 1995-2022 Arizona Board Of Regents on behalf of the University Of Arizona. Used under license.