By Jessica Tiregol, Ph.D.Expand your knowledge of the Turkish language and culture through engaging, in-depth dialogues and unscripted discussions between native speakers. Watch video and learn about greetings, shopping, food, dining out, weather, education, literature, holiday traditions, and more. With our specially designed video player for language learning you can pause the video at any point and scroll the transcription. Read annotations about culture and grammar. Click on almost any word or sentence to hear it spoken, along with translations. This course can be used either by independent learners or by students in a traditional or self-instructional classroom setting, and is the equivalent of the material covered in a one-year college course.
Classroom-Tested and Peer-ReviewedAdvanced Turkish was originally published as part of the well-reviewed University of Arizona Critical Languages Series where it was developed and peer-reviewed by Turkish language experts. It was classroom tested by college students using it as their textbook.
Sample Video: Lesson 1
Table of Contents and Sample LessonsTry one of the sample lessons below with video, transcriptions, annotations, translations, and individual word and sentence audio recordings:
- Bir Nasreddin Hoca gülmecesi (A Nasreddin Hoca Story), try a listening dictation
- Çim Serisi (Lawn Series)
- İnternete girelim mi, girmeyelim mi? (Shall we enter the Internet or not?)
- Fala meraklı (Interested in horoscopes)
- İnternet Fuarlarından İzlenimler (Impressions from Internet Conventions)
- Bir Kıbrıs ziyareti (A visit to Cyprus)
- Çocuk Bakımı (Childcare)
- Bursa Genç İş Adamları ve Yöneticileri Derneği (BURSA Young Businessmen and Managers Association)
- Haksız Rekabet (Unfair Competition) Part 1
- Haksız Rekabet (Unfair Competition) Part 2
- Sigara İçmek Yasak! (Smoking is prohibited!)
- Yemek Yapalım (Let’s make a meal)
- Bir Seyahat Macerası (A Travel Adventure)
- Ayasofya Gezisi (A Trip to Ayasofya)
- Geleceğimiz (Our future)
- O Filmi Anlatsana? (Why don’t you tell me about that film?)
- Futbol (Soccer)
- Ney (Reed Flute)
- Ödevimiz (Our assignment)
- Televizyon Dizileri (Television Series)
About the AuthorJessica Tiregol received a Ph.D. in Near Eastern Studies with a concentration in the areas of Turkish and Late-Ottoman studies from Princeton University. Her research examined the role of primary education in nation-state-building for the case of the early Turkish Republic. Her professional experience has been in the field of instructional technology, specifically web development, content and project management. She has developed web sites and has assisted in computer-aided instruction for countless courses and organizations in all fields especially foreign languages. She is currently working for the UCLA Library as the Head of Digital Initiatives & Information Technology Operations Services. She has also begun a project for a web-based language instruction program allowing for the creation and sharing of language materials among language instructors and learners. She is also the author of our Intermediate Turkish course.
Other Turkish Resources
Advanced Turkish materials © 1995-2024 Arizona Board Of Regents on behalf of the University Of Arizona. Used under license.
University of Arizona Critical Languages Series Advanced Turkish materials were Peer Reviewed by Janet Klein, Ph.D. and Hilal Sursal, Ph.D.