Learn Brazilian Portuguese by following Helen, an American exchange student, as she goes to Recife, Brazil to study and live with a Brazilian family. Watch video and learn about greetings, shopping, food, dining out, weather, education, literature, holiday traditions, and more. With our specially designed video player for language learning you can pause the video at any point and scroll the transcription. Read annotations about culture and grammar. Click on almost any word or sentence to hear it spoken, along with translations. This course can be used either by independent learners or by students in a traditional or self-instructional classroom setting, and is the equivalent of the material covered in a one-year college course.
Classroom-Tested and Peer-ReviewedThe entire course contains 20 lessons, 9,000 audio clips, dozens of exercises, hundreds of annotations, and 39 videos performed by native speakers.
Beginning Brazilian Portuguese was developed and peer-reviewed by Portuguese language experts, and used by college students as their first year textbook. It was originally published as part of the highly reviewed University of Arizona Critical Languages Series, and we have added many new mobile-friendly features.
Just $6.99/month! (3 month minimum). This is our Holiday Sale price which is 30% off our regular price!Multiple Choice, Fill in the blank, and Listening Dictation exercises are provided for each lesson. A searchable audio glossary with thousands of words and translations helps you find every occurrence of a word or part of a word in all of the lessons.
Our interactive video player for language learning
Table of Contents and Free Sample Lessons with Video, Transcriptions, Annotations
Sign Up Today
- No Aeroporto (At the Airport) Try a Listening Dictation Exercise
- Vamos Para Casa! (Let’s Go Home!)
- A Familia de Pedrinho (Pedrinho’s Family)
- Helena, Você Está Cansada? (Helena, Are You Tired?)
- A Casa de Pedrinho (Pedrinho’s Home)
- O Almoço Está Na Mesa! (Lunch is Served!)
- No Ônibus (On the Bus)
- Fazendo a Matrícula (At the University)
- No Barzinho (At the Bar)
- Escrevendo Uma Carta (Writing a Letter)
- No Banco (At the Bank)
- Fazendo Compras (Shopping)
- Clubes Sociais e Esportes (Social Clubs and Sports)
- Carnaval e Outras Festas (Carnaval and Other Festivals)
- No Mercado Público e No Supermercado (In the Open Market and in the Supermarket)
- O Fim de Semana Na Praia (The Weekend at the Beach)
- Helena Fica Doente (Helena Gets Sick)
- Viagem ao Amazonas (Trip to the Amazon)
- Rio de Janeiro e São Paulo (Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo)
- De Volta ao Recife (Returning to Recife)
- Os Gestos (Gestures)
About the AuthorRosângela Souto Silva received an M.A. in Portuguese Linguistics and a Ph.D. in Applied Portuguese Linguistics with a certificate in SLATE (Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education), both from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Her professional experience includes Portuguese language instruction, Portuguese course development and supervision, and Portuguese Language Instruction Program directorship. She has developed, taught, and supervised Portuguese courses ranging from beginning to advanced levels for a variety of orientations, including Portuguese for speakers of Romance languages and Study Abroad Programs in Brazil. She has also published and presented conference papers on several areas of Second Language Acquisition (SLA), including cross-cultural pragmatics, bilingualism, language teaching and discourse analysis. Her website is here.
Beginning Brazilian Portuguese materials © 1995-2022 Arizona Board Of Regents on behalf of the University Of Arizona. Used under license.